General Sites and Metasites on Chinese Religions
- Chinese Religious Culture: A Research Guide
An extensive online bibliographical guide by Professor Barend ter Haar.
- Academia Sinica’s Scripta Sinica
Searchable texts of the Thirteen Classics, Twenty-Five Histories, and the Buddhist canon.
- Chinese Text Project
Open-access bilingual digital library of Chinese classics and histories.
- Resources for East Asian Language and Thought
By Charles Muller; includes resources that focus on Buddhism.
- Golden Laterns: China Religion Database
- Bibliography of Western Language Publications on Chinese Popular Religion (1995-Present)
Compiled by Professor Philip Clart, University of Leipzig.
- The Golden Elixir: A Website on Chinese Alchemy
Maintained by Professor Fabrizio Pregadio, Stanford University.
- 中國道教 (Zhongguo daojiao)
Chinese-language online magazine on a variety of topics related to historical and contemporary Daoism in China.
- 道氣社 (Dokisha)
Japanese-language Daoist studies site.
- China Taoist Association
- Hong Kong Taoist Association
- The British Taoist Association
- The Daoist Foundation
Database of Texts
- Chinese Philosophical EText Archive
An archive of various texts from imperial China maintained by Stephen C. Angle at Wesleyan University.
- Internet Sacred Text Archive: Confucianism
English translations of the classical texts, most of which are by James Legge.
- Benjamin Elman’s Classical Historiography for Chinese Historiography
Includes extensive bibliographies on Confucianism as well as other religions and philosophies.
- The Cult of Confucius: Images of the Temple of Culture
An essay by Professor Thomas Wilson, Hamilton College.
- The Autumnal Sacrifice to Confucius
An essay on the sacrifice to Confucius by Stephanie Wong (class of 2010) and Thomas Wilson, Hamilton College, including a film of the ceremony with commentary.
General Sites and Metasites
- Buddhist Studies WWW Virtual Library
Maintained by Matthew Ciolek at Australian National University and others at various institutions around the world. Everything else on this SSCR page can presumably be access through this portal, which also boasts excellent search facilities.
- Digital Library and Museum of Buddhist Studies
Labelled “Comprehensive Cyberspace for Buddhist Studies,” this is probably the best portal by which to access a variety of resources hosted by the Center for Buddhist Studies at National Taiwan University and CBETA, the Chinese Buddhist Electronic Texts Association (for which a separate link is given just below). Mirror sites for CBETA may be accessed through this link (although some of these, such as those at MIT and Ohio State, are no longer functioning).
- 中國佛教信息網 (Zhongguo fojiao xinxi wang)
One of the earliest such metasites hosted in mainland China. It is also the most comprehensive one, with electronic journals and books, snippets on the history of buddhism, explanations on scriptures and the Sangha in general. Well maintained.
Research Organizations and Journal Sites
- International Association of Buddhist Studies (IABS)
The premier international body for Buddhist studies.
- International Research Institute for Zen Buddhism
Founded and formerly directed by Professor Yanagida Seizan and Urs App,and currently directed by Okimoto Katsumi, this institute at Hanazono University in Kyōto, Japan provides many important resources for the study of Zen Buddhism.
- Journal of Buddhist Ethics
This is the oldest and best-known online site for Buddhist studies, with an emphasis on ethics and socially engaged interpretations. It is also the distribution site for the Pāli canon, through the Sri Lanka Tripitaka Project (SLTP).
The Buddhist Canon
- Chinese Buddhist Electronic Text Association (CBETA)
Downloadable electronic version of the Taishô Canon.
- Index of Electronic Buddhist Texts
Maintained by Shigeki Moro, this includes a few important index files and an Taisho Tripitaka Index Retrieval System on XML.
- 仏教書総目録 (Bukkyōsho sōmokuroku)
Based on the Bukkyōsho sōmokuroku, this website provides a virtual shopping center for Buddhist titles (monographs and periodicals) published in Japan.
- LinksPitaka: Ressources bouddhiques
A French site maintained by Jerome Ducor.
Christianity in China
A database for the history of Christianity in China; registration required.